Monday, November 2, 2009

Homemade laundry detergent

So we have been trying to fnd ways to save a little here and there for preparation for Baby Plumb. I found a recipe online for homemade laundry detergent and have been meaning to make it for awhile. I finally tracked down all the ingredients!

What you need:
1 quart Water (boiling)
2 cups Bar soap (grated)
2 cups Borax
2 cups Washing Soda (this is the ingredient that was a little difficult to find but I finally found it at Homeland)


First you finely grate the bar soup.






Add the grated soap to the boiling water and stir until soap is melted. You can keep on low heat until soap is melted.




Pour the soap water into a large, clean pail and add the Borax and Washing Soda. Stir well until all is dissolved.



Add 2 gallons of water, stir until well mixed.




Cover pail and use 1/4 cup for each load of laundry. Stir the soap each time you use it (will gel). Mine did not actually gel, it was more soupy. Oh well!



Time to try a load!


Looks clean to me!  (Please ignore the workout hair and messy laundry shelves!:))



  I made about 3 gallons, using 1/4 cup for one load, for about $3.50! WOW!

5 comments:

Abbie H. said...

Good job girl! I love all the documentation! Too cute!

I have a book called "Green Up Your Clean-up" it's a great book with all kinds of recipes in it for cleaning products. I've found some I'd like to give a go. It's cheaper and so much better for you and the environment.

. said...

Hey Girlie!

We do this same thing (homemade laundry detergent)...
After I did it for about 3 times, I have a friend who told me she does hers in a DRY mix, no water so no bucket.

Lemme know if you need the recipe, it's simple once you get the bar soap grated.

Becky Maddox

Abbie H. said...

Got your message over on my blog. It is called Green up your cleanup. looks like maybe it's written by Jill Potvin Schoff.

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Up-Your-Cleanup-House/dp/1580113958/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1257485553&sr=8-1

Its really a great book. I actually read through it before and read about how damaging some of the products we use daily can be. I really started looking into doing things along these lines when we had a bird. Around birds the chemicals we use (even just air fresheners) can instantly kill a bird. It made me really start thinking about how they can effect our bodies long term.

The book has so many great recipes for things and tips on fragrancing and even locating the items. Things like glass cleaner, dishwasher powder, avoiding draino options, carpet cleaners and even things for outside. Now that I'm writing all this out-I'm thinking I'll write a post about it soon. Maybe a series as I try out new recipes. Would really give me a kick in the rear to rid my house of some of my "toxic" products that I'm still hanging onto. And I'll save some room for someone else here in your comments. :)

Abbie H. said...

BTW-adding 1/4 cup vinegar to the rinse cycle to rinse away the soap scum and soften your clothes. It eliminates the need for fabric softener which they say is a BIG no-no! Which I hate because I LOVE fabric softener!

Kelly said...

I just crack up at all your corny pics...but LOVE them SO SO much!! You and BPlumb are my idols!!

BTW...can you tell I'm a little behind on my blog hopping??