Thursday, November 12, 2009

What to Expect...

While organizing one of the closet's tonight, (one of the task on our baby list), I ran across this book.



I actually purchased this book about a year and a half ago when Brian and I were thinking about starting our family. (Kind of funny that I bought this book when I am a PA for a OB/GYN! ) It really got me thinking about that time a year and a half ago.


At that time, Brian and I felt that it should be time to start a family. I mean, it was apart of out "plan". I had graduated school and had been working for a few months. We were looking for a bigger house. It was just time.


When it didn't happen right away, we were really ok, which was actually shocking to me. I had always had a feeling it would be difficult for us. I thought that this would be something that would just devastate me. It honestly didn't.


After we had been off of birth control for awhile. Brian and I began talking about what the path was that we wanted to follow. Adoption or fertility? We always knew we wanted to adopt. I remember having conversations about it when we were dating in high school. The more we started talking about it, the more we started just talking about adoption . I can't really even explain it, but we didn't even think about anywhere else other than Ethiopia. It felt right in every sense of the word. We decided to go on a little camping trip and take the time to pray about it.


When we got home we decided to take a few weeks and listen to what God would say to us.


Shortly after that, Brian went to a lunch with some youth ministers in Edmond. At the lunch there were two women in line in front of them. They started talking and it turned out it was this family and they were leaving in a couple of day to pick up their son from Ethiopia!


At work, one of my patients was adopting through the same agency as we researching. As time went on, we knew this was our path.


We had dinner with the Silvestri's, who were kind enough to answer all the questions that we had. The next day we sent in our application and here we are! The waiting list!


Looking back now, at that time when I purchased the book, I had no idea what God had planned for us. He was already beginning to shape our hearts. We have no doubt that the son we were meant to have in our lives is waiting for us in Africa.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Um, yeah....more than just a little funny that you bought that book. It's really funny. :)
Did you read it? Did you learn anything new??
I love talking about my Ethiopian niece. I hope that someone that over hears me will be drawn to adoption or Ethiopia.

Unknown said...

LOVE this post!